Tuesday, January 27, 2009

How would you spend the money if your homeschool won the jackpot?

What's the jackpot?

"The average total per-student funding last year in Georgia was $8,729."


This amount of money, first and foremost is WAY out of line. It doesn't cost nearly this much to educate a child.
Just for fun, if I had this money, here's how I would spend it. Keep in mind, I have three students. Therefor, I would have $24,000 to spend.

2 desks- $2,200


4 more chairs like this one- $200


A new computer- $600


Dang, I'm only up to $3,000? This is a lot harder than it looks. Also, keep in mind, these are one time purchases. These wouldn't need to be purchased next year.

A set of World Book Encyclopedias- $1,100


A set of biographies from World Book- $300


A new microscope- $240


Britannica Illustrated Science Library- $400


Great Books of the Western World- $1,000


I've barely spent over $6,000. I would still have $17,960 to spend this year.
(I'll have to continue this post later. I think imaginary spending of public school funding is quite entertaining. :)

How would you spend the money if you hit the jackpot? (Please leave a comment with a link if you reply. This could be fun!)

3 comments:

  1. I have most of the Great books of the Western World. (Goodwill rocks! DH actually was the one who found them!)

    I would get the Easton Press version of the Harvard Classics.http://www.eastonpressbooks.com/leather/product.asp?code=0286

    I would also take field trips. Europe anyone? or Should we do Austraila. I think I would have enough for the whole family to enjoy the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link. :)

    And I completely agree, both about Goodwill and the field trip idea. I actually found a cruise line which offers educational cruises.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alright, Sheri. I finally got this finished. I managed to spend most of it. But, I'm not sure what I'm going to do next year!

    http://www.kristinas-soapbox.com/2009/02/homeschool-spending.html

    ReplyDelete