Monday, March 3, 2008

Chicken Pot Pie



Oh boy, this is a keeper.
This yummy chicken pot pie gave me a reason to use my new white bake dish. It has the cutest lid too and would you believe I only paid $3 for it? I *love* bargain shopping! Aaack! I'm sidetracked. Okay.... the cooking....

This recipe was based upon the Chicken Pot Pie recipe in DK's Classic Home Cooking by Mary Berry and Marlena Spieler.



Here is what I did, you can obviously make changes. I'm sure I will next time I use this recipe. :)

Day 1-
Cooked chicken leg quarters in stock pot with seasonings
Remove cooked chicken from broth and allow to cool
Reserve broth
Store both items separately in the fridge

Day 2-
In really big skillet bring about 6 cups of the reserved chicken stock, onion, celery, garlic, carrots, and potatoes to a boil. (Cut the stuff up, obviously.)
On a separate small skillet saute leek and mushrooms until nice and icky then add them to the boiling mixture
Have a child separate the chicken meat from the bones and add about 4 cups of meat to the soup mixture
(All along I added seasonings- salt, pepper, Mrs Dash original, parsley, nutmeg, and garlic powder.)
Reduce heat and simmer about 20 minutes

In a separate saucepan melt about 3 tablespoons of butter or margarine
Add some all purpose flour and create a thick mixture
Add some chicken stock from the soup mixture and bring to a boil
Add to the soup mixture (This will create a thicker sauce)
Let the soup mix cook a little while longer
Prepare your pie crust- Turn dish over top of rolled out pie crust sheet. Cut around the edges for a custom fit.
Pour soup mixture into your pre-sprayed-with-pam bake dish and cover with the pie crust. I used a roll out ready made pie crust. Top with crust and add any decorative embellishments you would like. I used a cookie cutter for the stars and pinched the edges for the trim.

Bake about 20 minutes in a 375* oven.
Brush egg yolk over pie crust and bake an additional 2 minutes for a swanky shine.

1 comment: