Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Homeschoolers should be wary of public virtual schoools

Yup, I said it. I know this can be a heated topic in homeschooling groups. There tend to be ruffled feathers when a "old school" homeschooler says anything negative about "public school homeschooling". Also, for the sake of this post, I'm not even going to attempt to decide if it *really is* homeschooling.

It's been said time and time again that we homeschoolers can't pass up curriculum, books, gadgets, learning items, etc... (You know your home is chock full of stuff!) We get all goo-goo when a new homeschooling catalog comes in the mail. (Rainbow Resource anyone?) We love looking at/ talking about/ and buying things for homeschooling! Naturally we get sucked in to the shiny packages offered by public virtual schools. I recently did.

Yes, yes... Even little old me (ack! Did I say old?) Even little me fell for the tempting display. As you may know, we recently moved to Georgia. In Georgia students K-8 have the option of enrolling in the virtual public school. I was interested in enrolling Remington only. This particular virtual school is the K12 program. Free enrollment, free books, free education items, free, free, FREE!
Yeah, free. Not so much on the "free" really. Technically speaking, we paid about $8 total for all the required faxes for this virtual school. That's really not my gripe though.
I soon received notice there were other ways to pay for this program than faxes. Yesterday I received my interview phone call. It lasted nine minutes. Things were going well. I was taking notes, as instructed. After smiley games and verification, I was given my list of requirements. Just little freedoms I would have to give up to use their program, that's all.
I must log attendance daily on their online website. (4 1/2 hours average time per day)
I am allowed to include Saturday and Sunday if we use their curriculum.
School starts February 11th.

Okay, so far I'm thinking.... Damn. Log attendance daily? What if I don't go onto their website that day? What if my internet is down? What if we spend all day on the couch reading books? Somehow that day wouldn't "count" unless I logged it within a certain time frame. Stupid. Jump through the hoop puppy. You're beginning your training. Okay, so... it's not so bad. I'm thinking I'm still in there. I'll just bite the bullet. It's a really small thing, after all. Right?

Then, she tells me my six year old will be tested by a teacher this year. I remain silent, but I'm thinking how did she lose track of the fact that he is six and is entering kindergarten? It's freaking kindergarten! What does he need to be tested for? But see, I'm trying this new thing where I don't bite the head off people as soon as they are saying something dumb. (In defense of the kind woman who was placing the call, it's not her fault. She didn't make those rules. She's just the messenger. Still, the message was dumb.)

She continues to talk...
I must "attend" an online parent orientation. (Easy.)
There are no Health, Phys Ed, Art, Music, or Foreign Language courses offered, but I am allowed to teach them aside from their schedule. Also, I am allowed to include a certain amount of these hours toward their requirement.

(I'm still breathing, but I'm not sure how many more times I can hear the word "allowed" without screaming.)

I should receive the entire curriculum package sometime next week. I can review the materials and get ready for our lessons. If I wish to begin lessons before we receive the package, I may. Any lessons we cover on Math or Language Arts is allowed to count towards our required time.

(Remember, she is just the messenger. It's not her fault. It's not her fault. It's not her fault.)

She tells me about unit and possible semester assessments that I may give Remington to skip lessons he has already mastered.

(Okay. This is a good thing.)


The teacher will call me twice per month to check on Remington's progress and offer any needed help.

(Okay, this *could* be good. It could be disastrous. I suppose it all depends on how the teacher and I click.)

The teacher will require four to five work samples per month.

(Require???? Shit. Don't kill her.)

The teacher may email me. I should be alert to the envelope icon once I have logged in to their system. I must communicate with the teacher via email.

(Channeling my inner Kramer- Serenity now, serenity now, serenity now....)

She informs me that not only does she work for K12, but she is a "K12 Mom" as well. She's been using the program for a few years. Do I have any questions?

Questions... questions.... Yeah, I've got some fucking questions.

1. Do you realize I could have gotten hammered if I took a shot each time you said the word "allowed"? What do you think this says about the tone of the program?
2. If there is a conflict of opinion between the teacher and myself who ultimately wins? Will I be "allowed" to guide my own child through his educational journey without consulting a "teacher" who has never even met or seen him?
3. Have you ever homeschooled free of restrictions? Have you ever been free to follow your child's interest? Do you ever wish you could just watch the squirrels all day long for Science? Have you ever spent the entire day in pajamas, snuggled on the couch with your children, reading book after book under the blankets?

But, like I said, I'm trying this new gentle (read as: not bitch) approach thing. I'm trying to remember to save it for when the person is really deserving. Honestly, this kind woman wasn't deserving, she was simply the messenger.

I said no and we ended the phone call.

About ten minutes later she calls back. She says there is bad news and good news. The good news is that Remington is approved for enrollment in their program. The bad news is that he must enroll into first grade. This is based purely on his age, he's six. What "they" don't realize however, is that I have intentionally left Remington alone educationally speaking. I didn't want to give him any formal instruction before this age. Truth be told, I didn't want to start now. (Daddy says it's time to read.)

I let her know that I have already downloaded the scope and sequence for their K program. Remington seems to be about half way through their math and one third of the way through their phonics/language arts program. He would certainly need the K training in phonics. She asks if he can read. (Ummm........ no. He needs K level phonics training, does that sound like he can read?? Don't say it... don't say it... don't say it.... don't kill her.) I inform her that he cannot read. She says she will ask permission to enroll Remington in the K level via special request, but she's not optimistic.

Turns out, he's not eligible for the K level. She says I would be allowed to sign him up for first grade. After that, if there are problems, I can ask permission to extend his first grade year to a total of two years. She informs me she did this with one of her own students.

That is the dumbest thing I have heard. Why would I want to intentionally begin with materials that are so advanced it will take him two years to complete them? How frustrated would he be with the "schooling" process if I did that to him? And why would you want to BEGIN an education career on the wrong foot? Dumb, dumb, dumb.

I tell her we are no longer interested in their program and quickly get off the phone before I scream. Really, they did me a favor.


On a related note-
Here's part of an article about virtual schools. Just take a look at the attitude this official has about homeschoolers.

Virtual education offered to home school students
By DENA HARRIS
Staff Reporter

WAUPUN — The Waupun Area School District is formulating a plan to entice home schooled students to return to the district through a virtual education opportunity. District Administrator Randy Refsland proposed the district investigate the option of a virtual education program that would allow students to learn from home, yet remain a student of the school district.

........."I'm fairly optimistic what this will do as far as bringing some of our home school population in to the district," Refsland said. "We've had a lot of interest that has either come through at the building levels or through my office regarding this. So I am cautiously optimistic on how this will impact us in a very positive way."

Refsland said the number of home school students varies from month to month. The Department of Public Instruction sends him updates about the number of home school students within the WASD. He estimates that at this time there are anywhere from 50 to 70 home school students in kindergarten through 12th grades in the district.

"If we can make a dent in that group, it's a sizeable achievement for us," Refsland said.
......

dharris@capitalnewspapers.com

9 comments:

  1. Homeschoolers should not choose virtual public schools if they want to continue to enjoy their independence and ability to set their own rules.

    But public virtual charter schools are not a threat to homeschoolers, at all. Just because the learning takes place in the home does not make it homeschooling. A lot of folks in the media and the eductional establishment confuse the two though, and that needs to be corrected.

    Homeschoolers are not threatened by online public schools any more than they are from traditional public schools. But you are absolutely correct that when anyone confuses the two, it's important to point out the distinction.

    As homeschoolers know probably as much as anyone, there is no one way to help a child learn. Homeschooling works for many. Virtual schools work for others. Some excel in the 'brick and mortar' setting.

    The education of one's children is and should be in the hands of the parents. That some decide to go to public (or private for that matter) schools does not diminish the rights or responsibilities of homeschoolers.

    When any parents are empowered to choose the best educational option for their children, all parents win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you finally cut that K12 program loose! I'm proud of you for being so polite...but it sure was frustrating to read though all that. But good to see too, because it reminds me not to be tempted. I looked into it once cause all the books looked neat...but then another friend who was with them dumped the program after about two months. Then they became unschoolers. Talk about shifting sides of the extreme, lol. It burned them on all things formal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You showed far more restraint than I probably would have! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anon said- Homeschoolers are not threatened by online public schools any more than they are from traditional public schools.

    I will have to respectfully disagree with you on that point. I believe homeschools are threatened by online public schools. Public schools now see their online schools as a way to "get those homeschoolers back into the system".

    It's not such a stretch of the imagination to picture increased regulation of traditional homeschools based upon the popularity of public virtual schools.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I bet these were Georgia's rules. I had several friends that did this in DC (I would have if I hadn't had to figure out where to send the stupid enrollment forms) and there was not much oversight, at all. You can use K-12 w/o a public school, but you have to pay out the wazoo to do so. And, in DC, it DID include art and music. Wierd.

    As far as us not having anything to fear-Well, the fact is that there are many people who are new 'homeschoolers' who are offered this by schools in order to keep them as part of the system.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and, Hi Angora Knitter! Did you know we both know Sheri? Then you and I met through blog/yahoo land. The world is small.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a small world, Kristina. :) It's amazing how small sometimes.

    Angora, I am soooo happy I cut that program loose too. I have read horror stories about the GAVA since my decision. Like I said before, they did me a favor. ;)

    Kristina, many of those rules are GA's rules. They require testing of their public school students yearly. So, he would have to be tested. Also, art and music would have been offered to Remington if he were enrolling in the beginning of the school year. (I suppose.) They do have art and science lessons and materials listed on the K level for GAVAK12.
    Honestly, I was simply looking to get some free K level materials by using this program. Their phonics materials seem very similar to a program we already own. I do like their handwriting program and I may order that privately, directly from the maker of the product.
    I think I've been homeschooling far too long to begin with such tight regulation now. Reporting to a teacher, testing... all that would have driven me insane. I can see where brand new homeschoolers feel comfort at being guided by a teacher. Also, they must feel relief at not having to choose curriculum. But in the end, it's too tight a noose for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is an alternative - though I don't know Georgia's laws: by accepting the program for "free" you "must" follow their rules. If you pay for it yourself, you are on your own. My own sister in Ohio did this for awhile though the government but did not like all the reporting. She later withdrew but paid for the program herself. She loved some of the material, but in the end found it to be too scheduled for her. I think the online schools are just that - schools - not homeschooling and are not a threat if the homeschooler fully realizes they are enrolling in public school. It is good to have alternatives if you see it for what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Junosmom said- I think the online schools are just that - schools - not homeschooling and are not a threat if the homeschooler fully realizes they are enrolling in public school.

    Well, I think that's part of the reason why they are such a threat. Many people don't really know the difference between homeschooling and public virtual schools.

    How many "homeschoolers" have you met who use (and have only used) these virtual public programs? I've met several. They really do believe that what they are doing is homeschooling. And they tell their friends all about their "homeschooling" whenever one is considering leaving the public system theirself.

    The new friend signs up and now she is "homeschooling" virtual public school. When her extended family asks about her curriculum she can proudly report that all their materials are provided by the state. The state tells them what to teach and how to teach it. And don't forget! They are assigned a *REAL* teacher! This is sure to impress many who aren't informed about or are normaly against traditional homeschool.

    Next thing you know, that family member meets a real homeschooler and asks about her curriculum. Oh my! Will she be in for a surprise! What do you mean you don't follow the state's program? They provide it for free. Why don't you feel that you need the *REAL* teacher to help you? You aren't a teacher.

    Now imagaine public "homeschool" gaining wild popularity. (It's not a stretch.) How will this ultimately effect the general public's opinion of homeschooling? We were weird before because we didn't "send them away". Now we'll be considered wrong to keep them home and still not use the provided free materials... with all the oversight that comes with it. Let us not forget, the American public really likes to have oversight of your affairs, especially if you are a little weird. ;)


    Surely you can see down the rabbit hole as well as I.

    ReplyDelete